Wednesday, June 13, 2007

you broke my heart

Saw Lavender Diamond play tonight. I keep saying how the best song lyrics are often the kind that look stupid on paper, that are very simple and repetitive and have to do with things that are important but sound goofy out of context. I get sick of lyrics that are supposed to sound clever but just end up being cutesy and stilted. Anyways, Lavender Diamond took a while for me to warm up to but once I did I realized they were a great example of this idea. Also, of the corollary that lyrics of this sort demand (and lend themselves to) interesting singing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is, I tried, with these guys. I tried. I just couldn't find much to like.

Not that I want to pass judgement on a label's choices, but this group seems so far removed from the territory Matador was covering in their early days, too. I miss Railroad Jerk, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Yay Lavender Diamond!

James--have you seen them live? I didn't care for much beyond "You Broke My Heart" until I saw their show last night, and it totally changed my opinion of their newest album.

Susan said...

I have to say, I think that not having heard the band until the live show kind of helped. At the beginning of the set I really didn't know what to think, but I liked them more the longer I watched. At the beginning I had this really palpable sense of wondering what frame to view them through and then once I decided them the benefit of the doubt a little it all fit into place in a way.

Though in the interest of full disclosure, though, I was well-disposed towards the band because of my respect for Ron Rege as an artist.

I don't know how I feel about the salad days of Matador. In the past it had more of a label identity, certainly, if not a "sound" exactly. Which can be good. But I think it's the success of the label that has made it impossible to maintain that. The scale changed. Now it serves a definite purpose but it's nothing like the one it used to have.

Unknown said...

Lavender Diamond is the real deal. I buy it hook, line and sinker. The repetition doesn't bother me at all, infact I like the more repetitive songs best, e.g. 'Like an Arrow,' 'Oh No.' Best original music in Los Angeles right now. Their album is named after a Thich Nat Hanh quote. C'mon.