Monday, June 18, 2007

conflict of interest

Sometimes having dated a few musicians puts me in a weird position. Especially when it comes to this one guy that sometimes comes up in conversation with people who don't know I dated him briefly when I was younger. I don't have a consistent policy on what to do but usually I just don't say anything but I feel a little weird about it. My attitude towards this guy's band is different than it would have been if I didn't know him. It wasn't some great love affair or anything, but as a result of this past relationship I feel a little more invested (in a way that makes me a little extra disappointed when his band puts out something I don't like that much) and a little more indulgent (usually my musical opinions are pretty strong, to the point of rubbing people the wrong way sometimes, but I always cut his band a bit of extra slack...except when I have a backlash thing where I feel like I have to overcompensate). I know that my perspective is skewed. It seems like I ought to cop to it in the interest of disclosure. But mentioning the relationship not only has the potential to sound like name-dropping, I think it inevitably implies that I'm claiming some kind of special position of knowledge or insight that I don't want. To say nothing of the unsavory associations of groupie-ism that this knowledge might conjure up in others. So most of the time I don't say anything but I feel weird, and every once in a while I do say something and I feel weird.

Of course, similar complicated stuff comes up for anybody who gets involved in a local scene, makes friends with musicians, anything, and then tries to express opinions about their music in any sort of vaguely impartial way. It's something I don't usually see discussed but it should be out in the open more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I am regular visitor of this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Plenty of useful information on fairytaleinthesupermarket.blogspot.com. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Let me present you with one fact here. Recent Scientific Research points that closely 50% of all USA adults are either obese or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.