Saturday, June 2, 2007

for your consideration

"Forbidden sexualities stay vague because they fear detection and punishment. Historically, music has been defined as mystery and miasma, as implicitness rather than explicitness, and so we have hid inside music; in music we can come out without coming out, we can reveal without saying a word."

Wayne Koestenbaum, in The Queen's Throat: Opera, Homosexuality, and the Mystery of Desire

In other news, today I saw a guy named Slim Something-Or-Other singing Everybody's Talking At Me on the Lawrence Welk Show. It was kinda surreal, but nice.

Also, I saw the video for Karma Police and was reminded of something. Does anybody besides me remember the Jim Henson TV special that happened in the early 90s, that had a version of Karma Police starring Elmo? I swear I didn't make it up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WTF! I've never heard of Elmo's version of "Karma Police," but I must see it now. I wonder...is he Thom Yorke in the video, or the guy the car is trying to run down?

Susan said...

I wish I could remember what Elmo's role in the video was. Maybe he was Thom Yorke AND the running guy? I'm not sure. With all the stuff that's on youtube these days, why is there no Elmo version of Karma Police? It's just wrong.

Anonymous said...

oh my god, i've been trying to prove to someone all night that this existed and you're the only other person on the internet that seems to remember it. elmo was thom yorke, and i believe matt pinfield from 120 minutes was the running guy. i NEED to find video of this.