Wednesday, June 13, 2007

parents

How did a guy who likes movie soundtracks, Barbara Streisand, and cheesy 80s pop-country, and a lady who likes baroque classical stuff, choral music, and Bread, who bonded through their shared love of Rogers & Hammerstein musicals, end up with kids like me and my sister? I guess there's always an element of mystery with these things. When I was a teenager my sister and I occasionally found music we liked that our mom could appreciate. Mostly Teenage Fanclub (for the harmonies) and R.E.M. (because my mom had a crush on Mike Mills before he discovered Nudie suits). Since we didn't live with my dad we never made that sort of effort with him. But given his interest in soundtracks I wonder sometimes if I couldn't get him interested in some sort of post-rock stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know how I might have inherited my taste from my parents. My dad owns a slew of classic rock and roll singles from the 50's (Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis (on Sun!), Fats Domino, "Sea of Love," and a long run of Elvis 45's on RCA. My mon owns a run of Beatles LPs (including the mighty 1967-1970 double album). I grew up playing all of them on their turntable.

What really amazes me is that my dad bought some real rarities, just out of habit, like Tom and Jerry's "Hey, Schoolgirl" single from 1957 (T&J were Simon and Garfunkle, still in high school). He didn't buy this 45 after S&G became superstars; he bought it when it was a minor chart hit, just one of many rock and roll singles he bought. So, that's where my love for collecting obscurities comes from!